Save Sparrows – How we can bring back house sparrows
Have you Heard a Sparrow chrisping these Days?
For sure, most of us have not seen sparrows these days.
The little brown-grey birds once found in plenty are hardly ever sighted in big cities these days. It looks like we have failed to maintain the trust these birds placed on us which is why we could not find these little birds these days. House Sparrows were once found in huge numbers across the world. Sparrows were found in Bus stands, railway stations, gardens, schools, parks those days.
Let us see why Sparrows disappeared?
Here are some of the reasons why Sparrows disappeared, especially in cities. These are the reasons which forced sparrow to lose its home.
- Homes are now high rise buildings with no ledges, nooks or crannies.
- Most gardens these days are given over to exotic species that do not belong there.
- Native plants have been uprooted and thrown out.
- Water is a scarce resource in most cities and concrete has replaced the dust.
Those days gunny bags filled with rice and lentils were stored outside grocery stores and when the rice or lentils were measured out for you, a few of it fell to the ground. Sparrows waiting nearby for just such an incident would swoop down happily and make a meal of it. But with grocery shops giving way to super markets, this is not possible now a days.
Let us see how we can bring back house Sparrows:
- By making arrangements in balcony or in Garden for availability of water and grains to these birds can bring back sparrows.
- Minimizing pollution as much as we can will bring back these birds.
- For sure we cannot stop using mobiles, however minimising mobile phones is in our hands and this can bring back sparrows.
- A small wooden home for these brown birds helps to bring back Sparrows.
The excessive use of chemical fertilizer has ruined it for them here too.
I strongly feel that it is very important to save these little birds. If you are a lover of these birds, please comment, share images of sparrows in this blog.
Here are few pics that I’ve clicked during my visit to my birth place which is a small village. I have been living in a metropolitan city for about 15+ years and never saw these little birds. This is the reason, I thought of showing these birds to children in Cities.